Friday, February 25, 2011

100 Bad Movies- 96 - Alien From L.A.

Alien From L.A.

Well first of all this post is not going to be very long. Why? Because I watched Alien From L.A while I was rather sick, with a virus that or may not be Flu. I already had a throbbing headache, and I'm sure the fever I had at the time was caused by my sickness and not the movie.. In saying that, it certainly didn't do me any favours either.

Kathy Ireland stars as Wanda Saknussem, a nerdy looking teen, who wears giant glasses and sounds like she's inhaling a small amount of helium with every breath (may or may not have been the sound quality, but everyone else sounded relatively normal). Wanda is quite the, woe is me, type. She is scared of everything, and never wants to go anywhere, and for this she has recently been dumped by her former boyfriend. 

We find out Wanda's mother died when she was young and her father is in Africa being an archaeologist looking for the lost city of Atlantis which he believes is located somewhere near the centre of the earth.....
Well basically he finds it by falling into a bottomless pit, and Wanda gets a letter telling her to go to Africa to tie up some of his affairs as he can't be found (probably something to do with the bottomless pit).

Amazingly when Wanda is poking around she stumbles onto and into this bottomless pit as well and manages to survive the fall to the bottom of the pit formerly referred to as bottomless. Well turns out Atlantis is there, and it's a dark, dingy and dangerous place for an 'Alien' from the surface world. Wanda makes friends who try to help her find her dad, and of course some bad people try to stop that from happening, adventure ensues and the rest is all very predictable. My opinions may be heavily influenced by my state of health at the time I watched it, but I make no apologies for this, and I certainly won't be watching it again, just to see if it really is as horrible as I first thought.

The acting is all very B grade but tolerable, and I believe the story is what makes this movie just plain horrible. I tried to like it, I really did, but it just wasn't happening. Like I said it was very predictable, and it had nothing else to hold my interest when I could see the ending coming 20 minutes in. The denizens of Atlantis were strange people, and they seemed to come in two types. The first type were dressed pretty much just like a bogan might have dressed in the 80's, while the second type were dressed up like failed 80's glam rockers without everything being shiny. In fact it was the second type that almost made me laugh, because they just looked ridiculous.

Overall I thought the movie was just plain horrible and you should most definitely NOT watch it. After Bolero I had grave fears for the rest of the movies on this list, and that had boobies! After Alien from L.A I now have no hope at all of enjoying anything on this list. With 95 more films to go, and all of them allegedly WORSE than this one I'm almost tempted to cut my losses and just give up on this little endeavour of mine. 

Of course I did say almost, so come back next time for number 95 on IMDB's bottom 100 Daddy Day Camp starring Cuba Gooding Jnr.


Like Buying Movies?
Don't buy this one, buy a good one!!!
Like number 96 on the TOP 250 Movies as voted by IMDB users -
1927's - Metropolis - 
Starring Brigitte Helm and Alfred Abel

The Complete Metropolis               The Complete Metropolis [Blu-ray]
    Metropolis [DVD]                    Metropolis [Blu-ray]               

No comments:

Post a Comment