Monday, January 17, 2011

100 Bad Movies - 100 - Hababam Sinife Askerde

Hababam Sinifi Askerde
First of all, I know its been a long time coming, mainly due to my own personal laziness, somewhat because of Christmas and New Year celebrations, and a little bit due to keeping an eye on Brisbane’s flood drama, but mostly cause I’m Lazy.
Now to the movie, and I’m sorry to say the wait probably wasn’t worth it.
For one, its Turkish, and while I haven’t really heard a lot of the language, during the course of watching this movie I’ve found out that Turkish is not a language I really enjoy. Why? I don’t know. There is just something about it that irks me. So to all the Turkish speaking people out there, like the whole Turkish country, apparently I don’t like your language, Sorry.

Now with that out of the way, the movie wasn’t that bad. Don’t get me wrong, it certainly wasn’t that good either, but I think even at number 100 in the list its been a little bit hard done by, in fact could think of many American movies much more deserving of a spot on the list than this one.
**Update** If you check out the bottom 100 movies list on IMDB now, you wont find it! It’s no longer on the list, and the number 100 spot is now taken by a Power Rangers movie.

So Hababam Sinife Askerde is average at best, the story basically revolves around a group of guys, obviously in turkey. These guys are currently in high school, which is a boarding school, and it seems they are quite fond of playing pranks around the place. The main target of these pranks turns out to be the schools Headmaster who is also the father of one the guys. Go figure.
After one such prank, headmaster/daddy gets revenge by turning to an old rule book for educators and our pranksters end up with shaved heads. Its hilarious, so hilarious he even orders the other students at the school to laugh about it…
Now of course no prankster worth his salt would let that stand without retaliation. This comes in the form of quite the good prank. It made me lol, out loud even, and involves a type of acid (fictional or not I don’t know) that somehow can burn the fabric of trousers, without burning the fabric of an office chair, and without burning skin. This of course results in the headmaster/daddy wandering round school with his ass hanging out for all to see, sporting some form a Gbanger to boot.

And so the ultimate punishment is dished out. Turns out our pranksters have been staying in school for years beyond what is normally required in an effort to avoid mandatory military service in the Turkish Army. So… You guessed it…. Headmaster/Daddy rats them out to the military and off they go amidst the fear and tears to become soldiers.
From here I kinda lost interest I’m afraid to report, unfortunately when the jokes start to only make any semblance of sense when you can read Turkish the lol’s fade away, and your brains start rioting in the streets of your brain, because they have no idea why they are being put to work trying to decipher what your senses are bringing to them. I kinda get the feeling that this movie could have achieved the lofty heights of mediocrity but I reckon there is quite a bit that goes missing without a full knowledge of Turkish cultural nuances. Given that my knowledge of Turkey consists of: Gallipoli, Anzac Cove, They are the blokes that fought the Anzacs, and Galatasaray is a pretty decent soccer team. I really wasn’t in the best position to get the most out of this movie. In saying that, I have just read a review on IMDB for this movie written by a Turkish Bloke, and he only gave it 3 stars out of 10, saying "This Film Is Nonsense".
But anyway as with all movies following the useless/downtrodden, on a journey of self discovery through constant failure, they eventually buck up, and do something awesome a couple of minutes before the credits roll. Yawn.

One thing I learnt from this movie (apart from If at all possible DON’T watch Turkish Movies) is that Turkey has some reasonably attractive women floating around somewhere. I was surprised. I didn’t even realise Turkey had Women!!
That’s about all I’m going to say about Hababam Sinife Askerde so thanks for reading, if you were able to plough your way through it all. If you just skipped to the bottom then whatevs, power to ya.

Next up is number 99 on the Bottom 100 Movies as voted by IMDB users is Marci X, starring Friends Star Lisa Kudrow and Funny man Daman Wayans. Given how hard it was to find, I’m expecting big things.

Like Buying Movies?
Dont buy this one, buy a good one!!!
Like number 100 on the TOP 250 Movies as voted by IMDB users -
1941's - The Maltese Falcon - 
Starring Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor.
The Maltese Falcon [Blu-ray]                  The Maltese Falcon [DVD] 
Maltese Falcon                      The Maltese Falcon






No comments:

Post a Comment